Sunday, September 30, 2007

Chocolate Pudding Cake

This is another "Susan" recipe that I have since discovered comes from an old Betty Crocker™ cookbook. Susan gave this recipe to my mother, and my mother told me that it came from Betty Crocker. Sure enough, I looked up Betty, and there it was! The ironic twist to all of this, is that I grew up with the Betty Crocker Cookbook, but we never had this dessert while I was growing up. See, marriage does many good things for you. I don't advocate marriage for all gay men, but for some, marriage is a treasure trove of great recipes and laundry tips. Check it out, guys.

1-1/2 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cocoa
3/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1-1/3 cup chopped nuts
6 tablespoons cocoa
1-1/3 cup brown sugar
2-3/4 cups very hot water

Sift together the flour, baking powder, salt, sugar, and 3 tablespoons cocoa. Stir in the milk and vegetable oil. Stir in the nuts. Spread the mixture in a 9"x13" pan. Sprinkle the batter with the remaining cocoa and the brown sugar. Pour the hot water over the batter.

Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Serve warm with whipped cream or topping, although it's really good just by itself.

No comments: