Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Lentils

The original recipe appeared in the Washington Post Food section on Wednesday, March 18, 2009, David Hagedorn, chef. I changed a couple of the ingredients. This is a very tasty side.

1 c "French" lentils
3 c vegetable or chicken broth
1/2 dried thyme
2 medium garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 t salt
1/4 t ground black pepper
1 bay leaf
1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
1 medium potato, small dice

Rinse the lentils. In a small saucepan, combine the lentils, broth, and spices. Bring to a boil, and add the carrot and potato. Cover and simmer on a lower heat for 30 minutes until the lentils and vegetables are soft.

I made this the day before I served them. They really taste better the second day. I just cooled them down for an hour or so, then refrigerated them overnight. I warmed them up the next day before serving.

No comments: